We tested three of the top selling portable dishwashers in five different categories that we believe make the difference, if you are deciding to buy the best portable dishwasher for your needs: design, comfort, portability, durability and last but not least, ease of use.
For individuals who live in small homes or rental apartments, that can’t accommodate a built-in dishwasher, a portable model is the next best thing. These machines are a great alternative to hand-washing, but are not suitable for families with more then three or four family members. Portable units can take two forms, countertop and roll away, but of the two, we found the most positive feedback for countertop models.
1. Sunpentown SD-2201W / SPT Countertop Dishwasher, White
The top choice according to experts and users is the Sunpentown SD-2201W / SPT Countertop Dishwasher, White. This portable model receives strong user ratings at numerous sites, including 4.4 stars at Amazon.com following more than 550 unique reviews and ratings. More than 90% of the customers say that they would recommend the Sunpentown SD-2201W / SPT Countertop Dishwasher to a friend. (The manufacturer, Sunpentown, is also sometimes known as SPT, so this is identified as the SPT SD-2201W by some retailers, including Amazon.com).
Performance is excellent, with five cycles for dishwashing tasks from a light rinse to cleaning heavily soiled bakeware. With a noise rating of 55 dB, it’s louder than the top built-in models, but quieter than many cheap dishwashers. That is worth considering for those looking for a built in dishwasher on the tightest of budgets.
Installation is easy, customers say, though you’ll need to be within reach of a sink for the intake and drain hoses, which attach to your faucet via an included faucet adapter and Quick Connect coupler. Efficiency is excellent, and the SD-2201W is Energy Star rated.
- Economical – features an efficient design that’s Energy Star certified
- Space saving – fits between most standard countertops, cabinetry and tables
- The sleek finish is ideal for any contemporary kitchen
- Comes with 6 wash cycles, so you can choose the one that will most effectively clean your dishes
- Durable stainless steel interior
- Dishwashing isn’t uniform in the Normal cycle
- Small capacity
- Takes up counter space
2. Sunpentown 18-Inch Roll Away Dishwasher / SPT 18-Inch Roll Away Dishwasher
This portable dishwasher is made with convenience in mind: it is easily rolled into place and connects to the kitchen faucet in minutes (an adapter is supplied), which eliminates the need for it to be permanently installed to the plumbing system. The dishwasher is a good size, and has the space to accommodate up to eight standard place settings, and it has a durable stainless steel interior. The controls are easy to use and include error alarms, which notifies of any faults with the dishwasher.
The dishwasher has six different wash programs, which are: all-in-one, normal, light, rinse and speed; there is also an adjustable upper rack that can be moved to accommodate larger plates or pans. There is a time-delay program which means that you can pre-program the dishwasher to start anywhere between 1-24 hours in the future.
- Time delay feature: allows you to program operation at a later start time (1-24 hours), error alarm: displays fault codes
- Rinse aid warning indicator: refill reminder on rinse aid, stainless steel interior
- Up to 8 standard place settings, 6 wash programs: all-in-1, heavy, normal, light , rinse and speed
- Faucet adapter included for quick and simple connection, Automatic detergent and rinse agent dispenser
- Concealed heating element, adjustable upper basket, energy star
- Needs careful planning to fit everything in – although we were able to squeeze a decent amount of dishes into this washer, it was not without a struggle
- The bottom rack will roll back into the machine if not held – at least, it did on us a couple of times – nothing major though
- Rather longer than normal wash cycle
3. Sunpentown SD-2202S Dishwasher / SPT SD-2202S Countertop Dishwasher with Delay Start, Silver
Perfect for apartments, office kitchens or any small-sized kitchens; offers full-size power in a compact design. With a height of only 17.24″, this unit will fit between most countertop and cabinetry. Spacious cavity loads up to six standard place settings. Features easy controls, durable stainless steel interior and delay start. Quick connect to any kitchen faucet eliminates the need for direct plumbing or permanent installation.
- Durable stainless steel interior
- Up to 8 hours delay start
- 6 wash cycles (heavy, normal, light, glass, speed, soak)
- Dish rack and silverware basket
- Up to 6 standard place settings capacity
- User friendly controls
- Automatic detergent and rinse agent dispenser
- Faucet adapter included for quick and simple connection
- Holds plates up to 10.5″ in diameter
- Rinse-aid warning
- Maximum water temperature: 148°F
- Input voltage : 120V / 60Hz
- Energy consumption: 220kwh/yr
- Water consumption (normal cycle)l: 14.5L / 3.8 gallons
- Input / Element wattage: 680W / 600W
- Noise level: 55dB
- Drying system: Residual heat drying
- Power cord length: 4.5 ft
- Drain tube length: 5 ft
- Unit dimension (W x D x H): 21.65 x 19.69 x 17.24 in.
- Package dimension: 25 x 23 x 21 in.
- Net weight: 48.5 lbs
- Shipping weight: 73 lbs
Want to know what’s the best portable dishwasher? You can read a lot of reviews about countertop and roll away dishwashers on Amazon, and don’t worry about shipping fees because if you purchase it from here, you get FREE shipping as well!